REGIONAL AND CULTURAL HISTORY
The Regional and Cultural History Collection focuses on visual documentation of the historical development of the province of Upper Austria. The collection contains approximately 90,000 positives, negatives and negative plates. These photographic inventories illuminate numerous aspects of life in Upper Austria, documenting, among other things, the development of the cultural landscape, art and culture, work, industry, crafts, customs and eminent personalities.
The collection was created in 1986 through the acquisition of the Kaspar Obermayr estate and it has been continuously expanded since that time. It was co-maintained by the exhibition department from the very beginning. The collection was supplemented with photographic plates from 1890 to 1930 of the former Director of the Sparkasse Bad Ischl, Anton Brandis. The photographs show motifs of Bad Ischl and the surrounding area, the inscribed original cases are also still preserved.
The focus of the collection is on visually documenting history and day-to-day life in Upper Austria.
The Landeskundliche [Regional studies] collection contains approx. 90,000 negatives and negative plates. In the year 1986 the Oberösterreichisches Landesmuseum acquired by purchase the approx. 5,000 photographic plates from the extensive estate of professional Freistadt photographer Kaspar Obermayr (1876 – 1954).
The Gmundner Hans Georg Prillinger’s estate acquired in the year 200? includes photos of all the important Upper Austrian artist personalities from the 1960s.
Following the conversion of the Oberösterreichisches Landesmuseum’s photography studio to digital photography, parts of the museum’s photo archive also entered the regional studies collection. Noteworthy here is the collection of negatives from Maximilian Eiersebner, who worked as a photographer at the museum from 1950 to 1978.