THE LIBRARY’S COLLECTION
The Oberösterreichisches Landesmuseum’s Bibilothek is a specialised library. Since it was founded in 1835, it has collected and developed the literature, which serves the in-house academic work and its exhibition activities. In addition to its service orientation it also maintains special collections, which have been created through targeted collections and valuable donations and endowments. Its valuable period pieces are popular exhibitions, the collections themselves contribute to the library’s profiling.
When the museum association was founded in 1833, its aim was to “compile a collection of all of the works, which directly address or indirectly illuminate and supplement the history of the fatherland”. The decision was made in 1834 to combine the municipal library’s holdings, which survived the city fire of 1800, with the museum library. The in part extremely valuable volumes from 1836 formed the basic inventory of the museum library. Publication exchanges with international institutions had also begun quite early on, while donations and endowments also contributed to the steady augmentation of the library and special collection portfolio.
The diverse special collections contain precious unique objects. These include manuscripts and autographs, incunabula (books published prior to 31 Dec. 1500) and early prints, maps and atlases, postcards, posters, portraits, sheet music and materials on Austria’s theatre history. Estates and smaller special collections, such as certificates of merit, family registers and historic playing cards are also contained herein, as well as calendars and cookbooks.
The manuscripts include a fragment of a Nibelung manuscript (2nd third of the 14th Century). The well preserved parchment with text on both sides has been in the museum since the first few years of its existence.
The autograph collection contains, e.g. a page from the Johannes Kepler family register from the year 1612. In the collection of historic maps, for example, are Upper Austria’s first map from Augustin Hirschvogel „Beschreibung des Erczherzogtumb Oesterreich ob der Enns“ (“Description of the archduchy of Austria on the Enns”) from the year 1583.
The collection of sheet music is also significant. For example, the recorded 120 polyphonic dances and adaptations for keyboard instruments of the Linz organ tablature from 1611 to 1613 or Anton Bruckner’s “cancelled” “Symphony in D minor – the ‘Nullte [Zeroth]” from 1869. Numerous estates and important musical history collections from 1586 to the present supplement the valuable portfolio.
THE LIBRARY BEQUEATHED BY ALFRED KUBIN
The library bequeathed by Alfred Kubin located in Schloss Zwickledt is maintained by the Oberösterreichisches Landesmuseum’s library.
The field of cookbooks was researched in depth over the past few years. The result of this research by Waltraud Faissner are two editions of a Book about the Linzer Torte: The first edition of 2004 “Wie man die Linzer Dortten macht” [How to make Linz tortes] is out of print. The second edition entitled “Linzerische Torten auf andere Art” [Another ways to make Linz tortes] is still available.
In addition, Waltraud Faissner’s research activities also resulted in a series in 13 sequels in “Was ist los?” (the “Küchenmeisterey” [cooking mastery]) as well as the Database of historic cooking recipes “Allerhandt neue Kocherey” [All manner of new cooking].
[Cooking mastery – interesting items from old cookbooks]