The Anton-Bruckner-Museum Ansfelden vividly presents the essential elements of the life and work of composer Anton Bruckner. It is not without reason that Anton Bruckner is considered the ultimate Upper Austrian composer and it is therefore in particular that the aim of the new museum presentation for the reopening in the year 2014 is also to address itself to interested laypersons or musical “novices”.
Hence in addition to Bruckner aficionados visitors are also addressed, who are of course unfamiliar with the stages of Bruckner’s life and his work, as well as numerous students in Upper Austria, who need to familiarise themselves with Anton Bruckner as a fixed component of their curriculum.
Anton Bruckner was born in Ansfelden at 4.30 am on 4 Sept. 1824 in the schoolmaster’s apartment as the first child of Theresia and Anton Bruckner. He spent the first eleven years of his prolific and eventful life here, before already receiving his first musical education from the year 1835 in Hörsching. He only briefly returned to Ansfelden in the year 1837 to support his sick father with his school classes until his father’s death. The authenticity of his birth house prompted the State of Upper Austria to dedicate a museum at this location to the great Upper Austrian composer. It was reopened in 2014 after extensive renovation.
Anton Bruckner’s cylinder, waistcoat, baton, organ console and the original clavichord certainly constitute highlights of the museum. A newly built model, which shows Ansfelden in 1820 and so vividly represents the rural nature of the community, musical instruments from Linz instrument makers from the mid-19th century, playbills, views of cities in the various stages of his life and sheet music convey an impression of Anton Bruckner’s life and work. A separate room is dedicated to the reception of Bruckner’s oeuvre.
The house is part of the building complex in the parish of Ansfelden and belongs to the Stift St. Florian, which has also managed it since the very beginning. It has always been a residence for sextons and teachers and the site of the village school. The Bruckner family was associated with the house since 1777, Anton Bruckner’s father and grandfather both worked here as schoolteachers. The building was significantly expanded in 1853/54 and a commemorative plaque was mounted in 1895 to honour the great composer. In 1967 the building passed into the possession of the State of Upper Austria. In 1972 a memorial site was inaugurated here for Anton Bruckner.
Visitors have the opportunity to listen to music clips. These were in any event not only composed by Bruckner himself but also by his contemporaries or the composers, who sustainably influenced him in his musical oeuvre. This also creates a small acoustical music history of Upper Austria in the 19th century. Different interpretations of Anton Bruckner’s works can be heard filling the rooms throughout the entire house, thus enlivening the museum through music.
Audio guide is available free of charge.
Tour ticket: €3
Groups from 8 people: €2 per person
Children (6-15 yrs. old): €1
An educational concept for visitors, who are young and/or young at heart, was developed together with the Anton-Bruckner Privatuniversität. A children’s audio guide, a quiz, an explorer’s chest and the “organ piper” on the info panels accompany visitors on a “voyage of discovery” through the museum (see "Downloads" below).
From spring 2016 Bruckner mobile also offers the option of a workshop with subsequent museum visit.
Contact and registration: firstname.lastname@example.org