Freilichtmuseum Sumerauerhof St. Florian

Themed areas are presented in the impressive four-cornered farmhouse, which mainly relate to the work that was done on a farmhouse in the Upper Austrian central region: The in-house "butcher’s”, the large oven, the must production, the horse-capstan cottages with the machines required for threshing or the horse’s stable await discovery. In addition, the farmhouse with its wood-panelled lounge and above all with the living spaces in part preserved in their original condition, offers insight into the bourgeois living conditions of the prosperous farmers of the ‘Florianer Landl’ (surroundings of St.Florian) in the late 19th century. Additionally on display are the unique collection of Upper Austrian farmhouse furniture, Upper Austrian farmhouse models, exhibitions of ‘Gasselschlitten’ (small one-horse sleighs) and carpenter paintings and historic tractors, and the topic of sewing – threshing – harvesting is also covered.

A ‘Zehenthof’ (barn used for the collection and storages of tithes) of the St. Florian Stift already stood here in the Middle Ages. In the 17th century it apparently merged the residential and commercial buildings into a closed four-cornered structure, on which farming operations were carried out until the 1970s. It was then acquired by the State of Upper Austria and became a memorial farm and open air museum. Since January 2002, the Oberösterreichisches Landesmuseum has looked after this outpost, supported by the association of "Freunde des Sumerauerhofes" [Friends of the Sumerauerhof].

The Sumerauerhof in St. Florian bei Linz is one of the largest four-cornered farmhouse of the central region and essentially corresponds to the state of construction, as it was restored to following the destruction by fire in 1855 of part of the wing of the residential section facing the street towards Asten. This includes the fully sculpted horse’s heads and the large St. Michael figure above the entry gate at the northern side of the 64 m long and 50 m wide farmhouse with an inner courtyard over 1,000 m² in size, which was used for folklore events. In addition, a currently demolished labourer’s house and a "Hanfstube" [hemp lounge] belonged to the farmhouse, in which the "soldier’s stall” (stall for military quartering) was also located. The neo-Gothic chapel is reminiscent of the owners of the farmhouse, Florian and Katharina Althuber, while both the richly painted Mitterleiten barn of 1770 and a few storehouses in the outdoor areas are based on the 1970s concept for a central open air museum.

Stimulating tours are also offered. A variety of thematic areas can be independently investigated at a few interactive stations. These were particularly designed with children and youths in mind, and our own educational programme was developed for teachers.

Adults: € 2.50
Tour ticket: € 3





Cookies helfen uns bei der Bereitstellung unserer Dienste. Durch die Nutzung unserer Dienste erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Read more …